.

because motherhood has more ups and downs than an amusement park

because motherhood has more ups and downs than an amusement park

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

standing from crawling, bravery & procrastination

little chicka was naked in the bathtub trying to crawl around when she got her leg caught underneath her. not wanting to sit down but couldn't quite get crawling, she decided she would stand! i just stood there in awe. something i was hoping she would do for a long time and she just *poof*, did it. like it was no big deal. it never ceases to amaze me. now hopefully instead of falling on her butt and either crawling to the nearest object [usually me] or sitting there crying for me to help her up, she can stand up by herself. i'm starting to go from being explosively overjoyed that she is becoming more independent to being bittersweet, almost sad, that my little chicka is needing me less and less. never thought i say that. when chicka was a newborn i prayed and dreamed for when she could play for ten minutes by herself while i ate my breakfast. now sometimes i can eat my breakfast and drink my coffee, all in one sitting!
    

  running around after a bath,pjs strategically placed                getting caught messing with the blinds                                                                                       
i'm currently helping chicka's aunt with her cake business designing fliers, pamphlets, logos and stuff. she gave me the idea to put an add, either craigslist or newspaper or somewhere to help small businesses with their advertisements. since i majored in art, it got me thinking. i would LOVE, LOVE, [did i mention i would LOVE?] to do this. two problems: i have no idea how to do my own business & i can't muster up the courage to do it! send me bravery vibes!
giving me some raspberries
why am i the worst at procrastinating. i sat here tonight working on my two church websites i volunteer to update and think, "why didn't i do this last weekend when i had the time?". i reply to myself [scary, i know] "it's because you work well under a deadline, you would rather spend time with your family and its how you're programed." i have ALWAYS been a procrastinator. i've tried, without success, to do things ahead of schedule. i fall back into the old habits after a week or so. i've longed to have that crazy gene where you HAVE to do things early and don't put off things til tomorrow.  isn't there some daily pill or vaccine i can take? i already feel like my stomach is a walking pharmacy. what's another pill in the old breadbasket? maybe the people who working on the gene that causes procrastination are procrastinators themselves? irony at its best...

ps- did i mention chicka is a tornado? every time i clean up one mess, i turn around to find another!

chicka chicka boom boom, i'll write again real soon...

3 comments:

  1. I totally think you should advertise to do art for small businesses! So many SAHM's are trying to make their way in the world while also taking care of their children and I for one would much rather support a SAHM than a big big business. Maybe if you don't start by thinking of it as a 'business' but as you helping others for the cost of your time it won't be so overwhelming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of "art" do you do? Like maybe draw illustrations for the children's book I wrote? : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks melinda! i like the "helping" others! yes, diane i do illustrations! i graduated with a BA in biological/pre-medical illustration. it was half art and half science (i.e. human anatomy, entomology, chordate anatomy and botany).

    ReplyDelete